Thursday, June 7, 2012

In the Crooked Kitchen

Tom Yam (Traditional Thai Soup)

Lately I've been missing Thailand and sometimes it really hits me that this time last year I was happily living and working there. Since coming back though I'd layed off the oriental food for a while, my cravings have tended towards traditonal British grub or mediterranean food, both of which are quite hard to find in South-East Asia.

Last weekend I went to visit my Dad who is currently quite poorly and spending some time in hospital, so I decided to cheer him up with a delicious traditional Thai recipe known for it's immune boosting properties and it's ability to fight off colds and viruses. So much so that it's even been subjected to scientific study. I realise that most people would consider the cold and flu season to be over but I still think this is a great summer recipe packed full of mouth-watering aromatic flavours. Hopefully it will keep any summer sniffles at bay leaving you free to make the most of the sunshine (if/when it returns).

What you will need:

  • 3 pints chicken stock
  • 4 sticks of lemongrass, lightly crushed
  • 1 bunch coriander with roots, crushed
  • Tom Yum Paste
  • 10 or So cherry tomatoes
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
  • 1-2 limes, juice only
  • 3fl oz tamarind water
  • 3 red chillies, thinly sliced
  • 3fl oz fish sauce (nam pla), or to taste
  • 3oz palm sugar (available from Asian supermarkets), use brown sugar if unavailable
  • Pak Choi (optional)
  • 1 can on coconut milk 
  • 1 Large bag of frozen tiger prawns (shelled and gutted)



 





1 comment:

  1. This is soup!
    Love the stuff sweet and spicy and a bit sour all at the same time.

    Miss Bangkok!

    ReplyDelete